Summer is in full swing here in New York which means I break out in a full on sweat the second I step outside and the sweat only gets worse when I get on the subway platform. TMI for a food blog? Sorry about that. These cookies though are what summer is all about. Nothing screams summer more than strawberry lemonade but when you wrap those flavors into a cookie something truly magical happens. They are sweet and a little tart and a whole lot of bliss!
I use to make these cookies every year as a snack to bring along on spring break. Everyone loved them and would rave about them. Every last crumb was gone within days. And I really do mean crumb because the 12 hour bus ride was usually pretty rough on these delicate little beauties. The cookies are made from cake batter making them amazingly soft and chewy. If they would have lasted longer than just a few days, I truly believe they would still be soft and moist by the end of the week. But I don’t think they will ever survive long enough to test that theory.
The best part about theses cookies? They could not be easier to make! Since they are made from cake batter you just have to throw in some vegetable oil, eggs, and a little lemon juice! Seriously what could be easier? They are perfect for a lazy summer afternoon when you want something a little sweet but you don’t want to waste all of your time in the kitchen. And I can’t say it enough, they are just so darn good!
After you mix up your doughs in two separate bowls, roll about a tablespoon worth of each dough into two balls. You don’t want them to be very big because you’ll roll them together to form one cookie.
The doughs will work best if you keep them chilled. I roll 12 balls from each batter and while the first batch is cooking I put the doughs in the fridge so they will harden up again. Putting them in the fridge helps them not be so sticky and make them easier to work with. After forming one strawberry and one lemonade ball you gently roll those together to form an awesome yin yang cookie. The fun doesn’t stop here! Next, you roll the cookies in some powdered sugar to coat on all sides. This adds another layer of sweetness to the cookies and makes the cookies look really cool when they crack in the oven!
Now, go pour yourself a glass of Lavender Lemonade and whip up a batch of strawberry lemonade cookies and enjoy a perfect summer evening watching the sun set. If any guys are reading this I just helped you with the perfect date. You’re welcome.
Strawberry Lemonade Cookies
Sweet, tart, and extremely easy to make. These cookies are the perfect summer treat!
- 1 box lemon cake mix
- 1 box strawberry cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cups vegetable oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Pour the lemon cake mix into one mixing bowl and the strawberry cake mix into another. In each bowl add 2 eggs and 1/3 cup vegetable oil. Add 1 teaspoon lemon juice to the bowl with the lemon cake mix. Mix each bowl well.
- Cover and refrigerate for about 20 minutes.
- When you are ready to make the cookies, take a small amount of the lemon dough and roll into a ball. Take the same amount of strawberry dough and roll into a ball. Roll the doughs together to form one cookie. Repeat with remaining dough. Keep dough in the refrigerator when you are not working with it.
- Roll all of the strawberry lemonade cookie doughs into the powdered sugar, coating well.
- Place cookies on a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake 7-8 minutes or until slightly golden and just set. Let cool on a wire rack and enjoy.
Recipe adapted from Tablespoon