Happy Cinco de Mayo!! I love any excuse to eat 100 pounds of chips, guacamole, and queso. Like, a Tuesday. Cinco de Mayo gives me an excuse to not be judged about it. Yes, true freedom. I hope you have plans to celebrate our true freedom to eat as much Mexican food as you can possibly handle today or this weekend. If you do have plans to feast, or even if you don’t, I have the perfect meal for you. They are great for a crowd or for just a few people. The recipe is easily adaptable and you can pick all of your favorite toppings! I see a “make your own burrito bowl” party in your near future!
I found the most adorable little street walking to the grocery store. I actually stopped and gasped. It looks like it’s straight out of a movie!
Okay, back to the burrito bowls. These burrito bowls are full of cilantro and lime, which means they are full of love.
The base of the bowl is the most delicious cilantro lime rice. It’s a really easy recipe and turns out great every time! I love how much flavor the rice has. It is just so good.
I personally think the cilantro lime rice is the star of the show but the marinated chicken takes home the oscar for best supporting role. The chicken has such great flavor and is only marinated in taco seasoning, olive, oil, and lime juice. The chicken needs to marinate for 30 minutes to an hour but if you have the time for it, the longer it marinates the better. So marinate the chicken overnight, if possible.
These bowls really are easy and the possible toppings are endless. I included black beans, corn salsa, and my jalapeño ranch. Make them your own and get creative! Happy feasting!
- 3-4 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 packet of taco seasoning
- 2/3 cups olive oil
- 1 lime
Cilantro Lime Rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2-3 cups chicken broth
- 2 limes
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 (15 oz) can of corn
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro
- 1 lime
- Pinch of salt
- 1 (15 oz) can of black beans
- Jalapeno Ranch
- Sour cream
- Parmesan cheese
•Mince the garlic •Dice yellow onion •Roughly chop cilantro •Finely dice red onion •Drain and rinse black beans
- In a small mixing bowl combine taco seasoning, olive oil, and juice of 1 lime. Mix well.
- Place chicken in a ziplock bag and pour marinade over chicken. Place chicken in fridge and marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Cook the chicken in a large skillet over medium heat until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees or no pink remains, about 5-7 minutes on each side.
- Set the chicken aside and tent with foil to let rest for 5 minutes and then chop chicken into bite size pieces.
For the rice
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté for about 3-4 minutes or until soft and translucent. Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds. Don’t let it burn!
- Reduce heat to low and add rice. Let the rice cook for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add 1 cup of the broth, juice of 1 lime, and salt. Turn the heat up just a little bit to let the mixture come to a low a boil. When it comes to a boil turn the heat back to low and let the rice simmer.
- Cover and let simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is completely tender. Stir occasionally so the rice doesn’t stick to the bottom. Add additional broth as needed. I used a total of 2 cups.
- When the rice is tender, add juice of remaining lime and the chopped cilantro.
For the corn salsa
- Combine corn, cilantro, red onion, and juice of 1 lime.
- Stir together and season with salt as needed.
Assemble the bowls with the rice, black beans, chicken, corn salsa, and other desired toppings.
Cilantro Lime Rice recipe adapted from The Pioneer Woman